The History of Salzburg fortress
Learn more about the historic secrets of the castle
The formation of Salzburg fortress, the world-famous landmark of the city of Mozart, traces back to 1077. The fortress has an installed surface area of 7,000 m³ and is the largest fully preserved castle in Central Europe. The most magnificent chamber is the Golden Hall, in which the world-renowned Salzburg Fortress Concerts take place from January to December. The fortress is a tourist magnet and, with almost one million visitors per year, is one of the most visited attractions in Austria. The fortress, which lies in the heart of the Old Town, is accessible via the Kapitelplatz and the Festungsgasse. From there, a funicular railway brings the visitors to the top of the fortress within less than one minute, surmounting a difference in altitude of 99 metres. Regardless of the operating times of the castle lift, the rail guarantees the comfortable descent into the town for those visiting the Best of Mozart Fortress Concert. It is also possible for visitors to reach the top of Salzburg fortress on foot, though one should calculate about 20 minutes for the footpath.